Are you trying to conceive and doing all that you can for a possible pregnancy. Then my dear friend, you must watch for 1st month pregnancy symptoms and also take all the precautions that pregnant women take, if you are trying to conceive. Because you never know when you will become pregnant. During first month of pregnancy, most women are unaware that they are pregnant until they get a missed period and take a pregnancy test to confirm.
Important activities required for your baby’s growth take place in the first few weeks. So the first 4 weeks of growth are very important. Physicians consider the first month after last menstrual period, as the first pregnancy month. Technically, first two weeks of that month you are not pregnant. In between of your menstrual cycle, ovulation takes place and pregnancy can occur if intercourse is timed at that time.
1st Month Pregnancy Guide
We are going to discuss about first month pregnancy in detail. So let’s see exactly what baby development takes place in the first four weeks.
Fertilization As soon as the Male sperm meets the Female ovum life starts. Generally this happens on Day 2 or Day 3 post intercourse. It forms a zygote. Furthermore, it multiplies fast and divides into many cells. This zygote is transferred to the uterus through Fallopian tube. If all the conditions remain ideal than implantation of the zygote to walls of the uterus takes place.
Implantation Once attached to the uterine wall it starts receiving all the nourishment required for further growth. This is the time when hormones like early pregnancy factor (EPF) are released. This hormone prevents body from rejecting the baby as a foreign body. The size of baby at this time is the size of a rice grain. Also at this point organs start to form.
Development In week 3 and 4, arm, leg, hand starts forming. Face also starts taking form. Your baby has reached the size of a raisin. Even the brain and neural tubes also start developing at this stage. Amniotic sac is formed around the embryo which cushions the baby. Blood cells start taking shape, for circulation to begin.
So it is suggested by doctors that women who are trying for pregnancy must start taking a multi-vitamin including folic acid. Folic acid is important during this time to help with brain, heart, and eye development. Many women don’t even know they have conceived during these important weeks as they are unaware of the first month pregnancy symptoms. For many females, missed period is the initial sign that they are pregnant.
However, there are many other initial 1st month pregnancy symptoms as well. They can be possibly confusing, as other 1 month pregnancy symptoms are similar to pre-menstrual symptoms. Don’t panic!! Let’s have a look at some common 1st month pregnancy symptoms in this post.
The following 1st month pregnancy symptoms are only a guideline. Do not worry if you do not develop all of the so called 1st month pregnancy symptoms. You can confirm your pregnancy by taking a pregnancy test also. Wait till the time you miss a period. As these tests work best after 1 or 2 days of missing period. Sometimes a negative pregnancy test also can be wrong. So you can reconfirm by taking a routine pregnancy blood test to check HCG levels in blood.
HCG get release in a pregnant women body during first 3 months of pregnancy. This hormone is also related to morning sickness, mood swings, tiredness etc. Though I have seen some lucky woman’s who sail the first three months of pregnancy without any of these symptoms.
1st Month Pregnancy Symptoms
1) Swollen or Sore Breasts This is one of the very common 1 month pregnancy symptoms. Your breasts may become very sensitive, tender, swollen etc. They are in fact getting prepared to produce milk for breastfeeding. For many women, nipples and the areola widen and become darker.
2) Fatigue Fatigue and tiredness are another 1st month pregnancy symptoms. Body requires a lot of energy to create a baby in mother’s womb. Blood sugar and blood pressure also get lower.
3) Slight bleeding Slight bleeding may happen about a week after conceiving. It is also called as implantation bleeding. Some women mistaken it to be starting of their menstrual cycle and get disappointed. But don’t worry as you may still be carrying your bundle of joy. Spotting is also a common 1 month pregnancy symptoms.
4) Nausea This is the most common and popular 1st month pregnancy symptoms. It is often shown in movies to mark pregnancy news. Nausea or Morning sickness happens due to pregnancy hormones. Nausea in pregnancy gets worst if your stomach is empty. So try to keep some crackers or biscuits with you to eat frequently. It can happen during anytime and all time of the day, though it is called as morning sickness.
5) Food cravings/aversions Pregnant women body works hard to grow the baby and need extra calories every day. Some women crave for food they would never normally eat, while others simply feel hungry all day long. Also some of the pregnant ladies can’t stand their otherwise favourite food items.
6) Headaches The frequency of headaches can increase with pregnancy. Many women get hormonal migraine headaches.
7) Mood swings It is very normal to have this 1 month pregnancy symptoms. Many pregnant women experience mood swings throughout pregnancy. It is very natural to go through various emotions as the body is adjusting with the hormonal changes. Mood swings can range from extreme happiness to being upset, depressed or angry. Make sure to talk to your spouse and closed ones regarding your mood swings or else petty fights can escalate and affect you more. Some women get so disturbed and depressed that they cannot function normally. It is a major problem, and affects 4% to 12% of women during pregnancy. Consult a counsellor or psychologist if you think you are majorly depressed.
8) Dizziness Changes in hormones, heart pumping blood faster than usual causes blood sugar and blood pressure to lower down and make you feel dizzy.
9) Raised Basal Body temperature Some women record their basal body temperature to track ovulation. If you are one of them than a spike in your body temperature may indicate 1st month pregnancy symptoms.
10) Frequent Urination When you are pregnant, kidneys are loaded with extra work because of increase in body fluids. Also the uterus puts pressure on the bladder leading to frequent urination. This extra pressure on kidneys and changes in intestinal working can also lead to constipation and bloating. This is a very common 1st month pregnancy symptoms.
PRECAUTIONS DURING PREGNANCY
Pregnancy is one of the most enjoyable and thrilling experiences in woman’s life. But you need to take a lot of care and precautions during early pregnancy as the first 2-3 months are very sensitive for baby’s life. You must keep an eye on your lifestyle and habits. It is time to focus on your lifestyle as the first month is a sensitive period in the life of the baby. Think twice before putting anything in your body as now you will be sharing all that you eat with your unborn baby.
1) Diet Diet is the most important pregnancy precautions you need to focus upon as a pregnant women. A balanced diet is important. The food that you eat must sustain the growth and development of the embryo. Foods rich in Vitamin B6, Folic acid, Milk Products, iron to give you extra energy and also nourishment for the baby. You must have heard from your mother to avoid some foods like papaya, jackfruit, and pineapple during pregnancy. They are totally right.
Avoid Contraction-Inducing Foods like pineapple, raw papaya, Seafood, Processed Foods, frozen foods etc. Get your dose of vitamin D through food like egg yolks, sardines, tuna, salmon, cod liver oil, or through exposure to sunlight. Do not overeat, even if it is your favorite food. Eat a lot of fiber rich foods as they can help you with bloating and constipation problems.
2) Get some regular exercise Walking is the best exercise as it will not cause any strain on your body. Also you may join in a special prenatal yoga classes for moms to be. Consult your gynac before you decide to do any physical activity as exercise. Avoid doing stressful exercises that will strain you. Gentle exercise is beneficial for both the mother and the baby. They help ease or prevent pain and boost energy levels. Physically active woman during pregnancy has to suffer less labour pain and delivery is smooth. Exercise at a moderate level and stop if you are tired.
3) Drink more water You should drink 2-3 litres of water every day. Stay hydrated so that your body will not get undernourished. If you have dry skin and hands problem than drinking water is the best thing you can do.
4) Keep your mind stress free keep yourself calm, confident and stress free. You can meditate to bring positivity in your life. Try to surround yourself with people you love and be happy and enjoy this phase of motherhood.
5) Take a goodnight sleep You must sleep peacefully for longer hours as a part of pregnancy care. Our body undergoes a lot of physical and hormonal changes during pregnancy. So sleeping peacefully helps to take this process smoothly.
6) Yeast infection Vaginal yeast infection is a common 1st month pregnancy symptom in expecting mommies. You must take necessary precautions in early pregnancy to maintain hygienic conditions in vagina. This occurs due changed hormonal levels and glycogen content in secretions. Also taking probiotics supplements can help.
7) Avoid coffee/junk food/smoking/alcohol These are the major precautions during pregnancy. Coffee has a high caffeine level which can affect the embryo development. Junk and other processed foods are at a higher risk of bacterial infections leading to many diseases. Also the unhygienic conditions in which they are processed can be a major source of diseases. So it is best to avoid them even if they are your favorites.
Alcohol can reach babies bloodstream by crossing the placenta. It also can affect the mental and physical development of your baby. Cigarette smoking leads to severe health complications. Women smoking while pregnant get low weighing babies.
8) Avoid long distance travelling The rate of miscarriage is the highest in the first month of pregnancy as it is the most sensitive time. Travelling during the first trimester can put extra pressure on your pregnancy. Travelling may also induce more morning sickness symptoms and add extra discomfort.
9) Do not bend and lift weights One of the common precautions during pregnancy is to avoid carrying things that weigh more than 10 kgs. This limit will reduce as your pregnancy proceeds. Lifting heavy weights can stress the abdomen while doing household works and create problems. Also bending excessively while doing any household chores can cause dizziness. Prefer to squat instead of bending.
10) Sex during first month of pregnancy Follow safe measures to have sex after first month of pregnancy and try to avoid it for the first two months. Talk to your gynac to know about any complications of miscarriage etc if you have sex after first month of pregnancy. As long as there are no problems, you are good. But generally doctors advise against intercourse to avoid any concerns or risk factors in pregnancy.
Taking precautions during pregnancy is very important for a healthy bundle of joy. There are many risks if pregnancy care is not taken after conceiving like
Miscarriage Miscarriages happen most in first two to three months. Taking enough precaution during pregnancy to avoid all the risk factors becomes very important. There are many things that can lead to miscarriage. The most common reason is chromosome irregularities or abnormalities in the embryo. May be it is nature’s way of early aborting the child which will be anyway unable to survive. Sometimes miscarriage can also happen due to hormonal imbalance or problems with the uterus. Taking enough pregnancy care in the first two months is utmost important for the health of baby as well as the child. Also excessive alcohol, drugs, medications can also lead to miscarriages.
Ectopic pregnancy The main problem nowadays is ectopic pregnancy where the cell implants outside the uterus. This generally happens in the fallopian tube thereby rupturing the tube. It causes internal bleeding and may risk the life of mother. Precautions during early pregnancy are taken and ectopic pregnancy is discovered early, a medicine is given to abruptly end the pregnancy. Otherwise urgent surgery is required to remove the fallopian tube from women’s abdomen.
There are many factors to consider during pregnancy like 1st month pregnancy symptoms, Precautions during pregnancy but try not to think too much about everything. It will only make you more stressed. Just remember to eat right, avoid smoking and drinking, and make sure you take peaceful sleep at night. As your body undergoes dramatic changes, talk to your doctor if any 1st month pregnancy symptoms trouble you way too much.